The only other Norfolk mills found to share this arrangement so far are Hunworth, Snettisham, Thornage and Weybourne. Wright claimed to be the originator of mustard making and was distantly related to Mr. JEREMIAH COLMAN Having taken the Stock & Trade lately carried on by Mr.
After the death of James Denny, Edward Ames became the owner and he closed the mill on two occasions. Helen's, Norwich, a manufacturer of bombazine and other articles, finally persuaded Mr. EDWARD AMES, respectfully informs his Customers & the Public in general that he will continue the Manufacturing of MUSTARD; & he begs leaver to assure those who may may be pleased to favour him with their orders that they shall be supplied in such a manner as cannot fail to secure their approbation.
Railway transport eventually took over and trains brought in the mustard seed and took away the finished product. The kernel then passes through further rollers which progressively reduce it to a fine powder.
In 1853 White's Directory records that "An alarming fire broke out in a spacious room used for drying starch at Messrs. For ready mixed or prepared mustards other ingredients are added and the mixture packed into jars.
The sample would be inspected, a price offered and a bargain struck.
The crop would then be delivered to Colmans in sacks by rail.
John operated 5 waggons and even invented his own Tally Stick methods. Next the husk and kernel are separated in a purifier using sieves and currents of air.Norfolk Chronicle - 30th April & 7th May 1814 Jeremiah Colman was originally a farmer and had also owned Bawburgh_Mill and a windmill outside Magdalen Gates.He had no son and adopted James who was the eldest of his brother Robert's 15 children.Unusually, the spur wheel was situated above the stones and thus also provided the drive from above.This meant that the drive did not have to pass through the bedstone as was usual.